Friday, February 16, 2007

Sunday Scribbling: Crush

Crushed.
Pain.
Broken beyond repair.
A garlic cooking lesson:
cook a dish with a whole clove for a slight hint of garlic flavor
smash a bit of the side of the clove for a little stronger taste
chop into pieces
mince finely--the taste becomes stronger
crush in a garlic press for the strongest garlic taste
Experiences that jar and dent eventually fade into the realm of interesting life stories.
But to be crushed--
pieces of expectations lying in bitter shards---
Something new will be made from the ruins
Something not chosen but more pleasing.
The way a finely prepared meal
is more appealing
than a little lump of garlic.

13 comments:

jennifer said...

I LOVE this my poet friend!!!! Great job! LOVE IT!

TMTW said...

Wow... that's clever insight!

Kamsin said...

Great take on the prompt! Very nice indeed.

Karen Travels said...

"But to be crushed--
pieces of expectations lying in bitter shards---
Something new will be made from the ruins
Something not chosen but more pleasing."

I really, really liked this.

Regina said...

Very well done, indeed! Nice take on the prompt... mmm, garlic...

strauss said...

What a great metaphore - very clever indeed.

Inconsequential said...

Enjoyed that :)

Cool.

Waspgoddess said...

That was beautiful, absolutely the best entry I have come across.

gautami tripathy said...

Beautiful. One great post.

gautami
Painfully yours..

~Michelle~ said...

I got chills when I read this, nicely done!

Mary J. said...

I love the different levels of garlic flavor and the amount of "crush" involved. Nice poem.

Liza on Maui said...

OH, I love this! How this I miss this last week? This is a great take on the prompt crush. I know...i have been randomly visiting the Sunday Scribbling particpants because I'm always in a hurry. I'm glad I read this even though I'm a bit late :)

kareen said...

I love this post, Rena.:) The beauty of the human soul lies in its ability to rise from whatever pit it may have fallen into (or maybe "climb out" is more appropriate). Keep writing.:)