Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy 324th Birthday, Johann Sebastian Bach

Ich habe genung


1. Aria

Ich habe genung,
Ich habe den Heiland, das Hoffen der Frommen,
Auf meine begieregen Arme genommen;
Ich habe genung!
Ich hab' ihn erblickt,
Mein Glaube hat Jesum ans Herze gedruckt;
Nun wunsch' ich, noch heute mit Freuden
Von hinnin zu scheiden.
Ich habe genung!

I have now enough,
I have now my Savior, the hope of the faithful
Within my desiring embrace now enfolded;
I have now enough!

On him have I gazed,
My faith now hath Jesus impressed on my heart;
I would now, today yet, with gladness
Make hence my departure.


2. Recitative

Ich habe genung!
Mein Tost ist nur allein,
Das Jesus mein und ich sein eigen mochte sein.
Im Glauben halt ich ihn,
Da seh' ich auch mit Simeon,
Die Fruede jenes Lebens schon.
Lasst uns mit diesem Manne ziehn!
Ach! mochte mich von meines Leibes Ketten
Der Herr erretten!
Ach! ware doch mein Abschied hier,
Mit Freuden sagt' ich, Welt, zu dir:
Ich habe genung!

I have now enough.
My hope is this alone,
That Jesus might belong to me and I to him.
In faith I hold to him,
For I, too, see with Simeon
The gladness of that life beyond.
Let us in this man's burden join!
Ah! Would that from the bondage of my body
The Lord might free me.
Ah! My departure, were it here,
With joy I'd say to thee, O world:
I have now enough.


3. Aria

Schlummert ein, ihr matten Augen,
Fallet sanft und selig zu!
Welt, ich bleibe nicht mehr hier,
Hab' ich doch kein Teil an dir,
Das der Seele konnte taugen.
Hier muss ich das Elend bauen,
Aber dort, dort werd' ich schauen
Sussen Friede, stille Ruh'.

Slumber now, ye eyes so weary,
Fall in soft and calm repose!

Would I dwell no longer here,
Since I have no share in thee
Which my soul could offer comfort,
Here I must with sorrow reckon,
But yet, there, there I shall witness
Sweet repose and quiet rest.


4. Recitative

Mein Gott! wenn kommt das schone: Nun!
Da ich im Friede fahren werde
Und in dem Sande kuhler Erde
Und dort bei dir im Schosse ruhn?
Der Abschied ist gemacht,
Welt, gute Nacht!

My God! When comes that blessed "Now!"
When I in peace shall walk forever
Both in the sand of earth's own coolness
And there within thy bosom rest?
My parting is achieved,
O world, good night!


5. Aria

Ich freue mich auf meinen Tod,
Ach! hatt' er sich schon eingefunden.
Da entkomm' ich aller Not,
Die mich noch auf der Welt gebunden.

Rejoicing do I greet my death,
Ah, would that it had come already.

I'll escape then all the woe
Which doth here in the world confine me.


This post is in loving memory of Grandma R. who on March 17 went to be with Jesus at age 102.


For more Bach vocal translations, visit J.S. Bach Texts of the Complete Vocal Works.

No comments: