Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring, Part A

We are so excited about spring around here.   
The first day of spring was cold, blowy, and basically unpleasant.  But that didn't stop us from celebrating!  We took a short break from the book we were rowing and had a day of spring lessons.  We read several spring poems.  I'd wanted to do some poetry with K for awhile, but hadn't gotten around to it with all the other activities we've been doing.  The poems in Jane Claire Lambert's Spring Nature Study were great for giving K a feel for the expressive nature of poetry, as well as a sense of the many aspects of the joy of spring!

The kids enjoyed painting egg carton cups I'd cut into the shapes of flowers.  I'd seen this idea on Pinterest.  Unfortunately, I didn't save the source.  But the finished product made a cheery centerpiece.


Even though the weather was frightful, K and I made a very quick tour of the yard to look for signs of spring.   There were lots to see. 
Our spring celebration extended through the next few days.  A little doll K received for her birthday inspired me to make a spring photo story with her as the star.  A couple days later, when it was much nicer out, I snapped some photos of K's doll arranged next to some of the emerging and/or blooming plants.  K loved this and was excited to help find places to take pictures.  Later, as a creative writing activity, I had K make up a story to go with the pictures.  (This is still a work in progress--there were a lot of pictures.)  I'm pleased with the pride she has taken in this.


More spring tomorrow, hopefully!


No comments: